Proper care of your roof is vital to expand its lifespan and helps lessen future expenses and maintain your home value. If heights are unsettling to you, no need to worry, SSCS has properly trained professionals that are more than happy to provide a free inspection!
Take the time to periodically scout for signs of leaks and drips. If you see any abnormal signs, especially if there has been a storm with heavy wind or hail recently, get a professional evaluation. Though roof maintenance and inspections may seem pricey and time-consuming; keep in mind preventative work now will benefit you not only this year, but further down the road.
Roof maintenance steps to include:
- Yearly Inspection: add a once-a-year reminder on your calendar to go out on a warm day and fix and/or record any problems you may find.
- Missing, damaged, distorted shingles or tiles
- Split caulking
- Rusted roof pipe flashing boots
- Sweeping off debris on the roof, such as leaves, sticks and other objects that can cause damage to shingles
- If colored grit is coming off your asphalt roof tiles, this can imply it is nearing the end of its life span
- Small leaks can make pipes corrode quickly, cause significant water damage or mold
- Dark stains on ceilings
- Peeling paint on the underside of your roof overhangs
- Damp spots alongside fireplaces
- Water stains on pipes venting (water heater or furnace)
Signs to look for include:
Early signs of a roof leak